Do I need a pool cover in Winter?

Do I need a pool cover in Winter?

Winter brings dropping temperatures, freezing rain/snow, ice, and whatever else Mother Nature can think up during these few cold months. So during Winter, it's not really an ideal time to go for a swim, even in Florida. Most people with pools consider their pool to be out of commission during the cold months, but is it essential to cover your pool during that time?

A tiny percentage of people would argue that no, you don't need to. But that percentage is also only about 1%, while the other 99% do typically have a seasonal cover for their pool during days with dropping temps. For some pool owners, a big cover is an eyesore and isn't something they always want to look at in their yard for months on end. So while it is highly recommended that a cover is used during winter, there are steps to take to winterize your pool for the season and be covered up.

  • You absolutely MUST keep your pool clean! This can be a bit of a chore, especially if your pool has trees or high shrubbery around it. If your yard is heavy on the trees, your best bet will be to suck it up and get the cover. It might be visually unappealing, but it will save you a ton of hassle in the long run. But, if it's just two or three trees, continue reading.
  • Water must be tested and balanced bi-monthly. Sometimes you can get away with checking it just once a month, but to be safe, it's best to check the water at least twice a month. Using test strips to find the pH, alkalinity, and calcium hardness levels in the pool are incredibly important because your pool is continually collecting new things in the air without the cover. These strips will determine what you need more or less of to keep everything crystal clear. 
  • Chlorine and algaecide are still just as important when the pool is not in use as it is in the summertime. This coincides with the test strips and making sure levels are correct and adding what's needed when it's needed. 

In Florida, we have an advantage on other states that have homeowners with pools as we don't need to worry about snow or the pool itself freezing over. But the same regulations still apply if you want to keep your pool uncovered this winter. Keep your backyard looking like summertime, even in 30-degree weather!

Source

Return to Blog

The Premier Difference

The Premier Difference is that we treat others the way we would like to be treated. How do we do this? With exceptional customer service, including quick responses to your phone calls, questions, and comments. With expert advice and recommendations based on over 20 years experience in the industry. With fair prices that are at or below the industry average. And with quality workmanship that you will be hard-pressed to find anywhere else.

Monday, May 6, 2019

How To Prepare Your Pool For Florida Hurricane Season.

How To Prepare Your Pool For Florida Hurricane Season.

As it starts to get hotter in Florida, the weather starts to get a little crazier. Pretty soon we'll be welcoming in hurricane season with bated breath, and a couple of boxes of supplies, like we Floridians, do every year. But what about those of us who own a pool? What is the best way to prep your pool for the hurricane season here in Florida? Well, we have a few tips on how to make sure your pool survives the harsh weather we're bound to get at some point this season.

Finish reading How To Prepare Your Pool For Florida Hurricane Season....

Estimated reading time: 2 minutes, 32 seconds

Monday, April 1, 2019

3 Reasons to Have a Summer Kitchen.

3 Reasons to Have a Summer Kitchen.

Getting family and friends together during the summer for a cookout is a lot of fun. There's always work that goes into it but it always ends up being worth it and everyone usually still has a great time. But what's better than grilling on the patio? Having your own summer, or outdoor, kitchen! Here you will see 3 top benefits to having a summer kitchen and hopefully convince you to start having more cookouts!

Finish reading 3 Reasons to Have a Summer Kitchen....

Estimated reading time: 2 minutes, 33 seconds

Monday, February 25, 2019

Prepare Your Pool for a the warmer months in Florida.

Prepare Your Pool for a the warmer months in Florida.

Spring is almost here, and Florida is recovering from the deep freeze of Winter. Well not really. But unless you have a heated pool, your pool has probably not been used for many months. Summer will be here before you know it, but for most Floridians pool season starts when the weather warms up in the Spring. Will your pool be ready to help you beat the heat?

Finish reading Prepare Your Pool for a the warmer months in Florida....

Estimated reading time: 1 minute, 48 seconds